The history of one of the largest porcelain factories in Europe.
Philip Rosenthal founded his factory in the city of Selb in 1879, but at that time he could not even imagine how wide his production would be. Over the next 50 years after his founding, Philip took over ten other factories in Selb and beyond, in Kronach, Neurolau, Waldenburg, Marktredwitz and Sofienthal. In the same half century, he transformed his company into a joint-stock company - Rosenthal AG and became one of the most famous porcelain manufacturers in the world.
It all started with painting unpainted porcelain, which was produced by other factories, and at the moment when the suppliers refused to supply him with white unpainted porcelain, Philip made his first porcelain under the Rosenthal brand. And by 1886, his famous ashtray with the inscription: "Resting place for burning cigars" was entered in the register of the royal court in Hof.
In 1934, the founder of the factory, like many of his colleagues, had to emigrate from Germany because of his Jewish roots. In the 1950s, his son, also Philip Rosenthal, returned to his father's homeland and continued the family business. Philip Rosenthal Jr. turned out to be a very good businessman who managed to increase the wealth and fame of the Rosenthal brand.
Philip Jr., who lived until 2001, was a very sociable person and constantly communicated with the world art elite, often inviting them to his castle, which he bought, reconstructed and gave him a family name. Friendship with famous architects: Payne, Hundertwasser, Morandini was reflected in the facade of the company's office buildings. In 1961, Philip created the Rosenthal studio line - a creative workshop in which famous people of that time worked: Collani, Bellini, Arad, Morrison.
One of the main rules of the Rosenthal brand at that time and now was the classic pre-war pieces that coexisted with designer novelties. It is this combination of tradition and avant-garde that has become the "trick" of the brand up to the present day.
In the 1980s, after the end of the Cold War, a process of restructuring of the entire European porcelain industry began, as huge opportunities for industrial automation opened up. Rosenthal reacted very competently to the restructuring, dividing production into different territories and investing tens of millions in the modernization of production. The result of a competent approach is one of the most modern production facilities in the world.
In 1993, cooperation with the Italian fashion house VERSACE began.
Rosenthal products have always been of the highest quality and meet the highest requirements that can only be made to tableware.
Below is the marking (brand) that was used by the Rosenthal factory in the first half of the 20th century.
Since 1879 printed markings in green have been used.
1891 - 1907, blue underglaze marking.
1909 - 1953, printed markings.
1909 - 1953, blue or green overglaze, red underglaze was also used.
Since 1922, printed markings.
Since 1933, printed markings in green.
Since 1934, printed.
Used until 1954.
20th century, blue underglaze marking.
1901 - 1933, used in production in Kronach.
1933 - 1945, used in production in Kronach.